Thursday, January 25, 2007

not our week

Haven't felt like blogging this week. Monday's blog was an attempt to remember how good things have been over the past few months but last Friday's events have loomed over our lives this week like a slow moving storm that won't go away.

Last Friday we were brought back to reality. We were reminded of how fragile Ira still is. If all is well - if all the hoses are connected properly, if the equipment is working fine, if Ira is germ-free, if the caretaker (nurse or us) is paying attention - then Ira is fine. He's the Ira we've been blogging about over the past few months. But, if all is not fine - if the hoses become disconnected (and they frequently do), if the equipment acts up (it has), if Ira has some kind of virus, if the caretaker takes his/her eyes off Ira - then Ira is not fine. He's the Ira that was born into our lives - it's a matter of life and death.

It's no surprise that both Laura and I have battled small colds this week. Our emotional and physical stresses are being manifested in runny noses, stopped up heads, and scratchy throats. Sophia, too. And it's no wonder that Laura and I are in a monumental battle of wills with Sophia. I know this is a universal three-year-old thing but I don't think it coincidence that the worst of it has reared its ugly head this week.

As usual (how many times have I typed these words?), thank you for your prayers and support. Thank you for the random e-mails that you send encouraging us. Thank you for the comments you leave.

This stress will never go away as long as Ira is as fragile as he is but I do hope and pray that Laura and I can learn how to manage it in such a way that is good for our family, good for our neighbors, and pleases God. This is my prayer.

-

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe, I am sorry. I will be praying for you all and loving from afar. I have sometimes wished that I lived closer so that I could help relieve the stress in some way...bring dinner, take Sophie out, touch you while praying for you, hug Ira, sing with Laura, and just be able to see your eyes. I hope you feel the presence of God and our love coming your way.

9:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I started reading about all of you about a year ago and I just wanted to let you know that your post today struck a cord with me. I have an 8 month old and a 2 1/2 year old and you are such a source of encouragement to me. I know my struggles are different, but you always strive to be honest in your posts and not make it seem like everything is under control. It is precious to me to know that other parents struggle with their attitude and to know that I am not inferior for feeling frustrated and helpless. I'll be praying for you and Laura today and your little ones. My daughter seems to be having the same problems as your Sophia and sometimes I just want to ship her off to Japan. Anyways, I'll be praying for you and if nothing else, know that your honesty in times of tiredness and frustration you are at least helping me.

10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We just got back from our trip and read about you rough week. I am so sorry! My heart broke when I read it and it also scared me. I hope you all have settled back in and are back to a routine. I have some questions about what happened that I am going to email you personally.

6:49 PM  
Blogger Vicki said...

Listen to our hearts...

11:58 PM  
Blogger Jina Hinson said...

God has had you on my heart more than usual these past couple days. Now, after reading your blog I know that you have been under some serious spiritual attack. I keep praying for strength from the Father, the ultimate Victory in this life, for you and your family, Joe.

With love,
Jina

3:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home