Wednesday, January 10, 2007

JOE!!!

My named has been yelled many times throughout my life. My sisters claim that Mom and Dad were tired by the time I came around and therefore, I got the good end of the parent/kid deal. (I also blame my mom and dad's tiredness on not being as well read I should be, smart as I could be or as cultured as I would like to be. Thanks a lot, Mom and Dad!) Despite my sisters' belief that I lived a punishment free childhood, I vividly remember my mom and dad yelling my name "JOE CLYDE!!!" a time or two. And it was never for good. When my wife and I get into arguments...uh, I mean, discussions, it's not uncommon for my wife to say my name "JOE!!!" in disbelief over what I thought were very logical assertions.

It's been a long time since I've heard my mom and dad yell my name and Laura and I are on a good run these days. But that doesn't mean that my life is free from the yelling of my name.

Last night at 3:45 a.m. I hear from the living room, "JOE!!!"

It's our night nurse and he sounds frantic. I throw off the covers and bolt out of our room and into the living room. I'm fairly certain I got into the living room before our night nurse finished saying my very short name. Ira's blue and trying to cough. Laura's right behind me. I start putting together a suction kit while Laura starts checking all the connections of the tubes. There's nothing to suction and all the hoses are in tact. Turns out that the water collecting in Ira's tubes (his air is humidified) went straight down his trach, causing Ira to gag and lose his breath. It was a sloppy mistake on our night nurse's behalf. After several minutes, Ira was able to get it together.

I've heard this frantic yelling of my name before "JOE!!!" come from the living room and it is the reason that Laura and I never sleep heavily.

I would give anything to hear my mom and dad yell my name again or Laura utter my name in disbelief over my ignorant ways if it meant I never again had to hear the frantic yelling of my name coming from the living room.

-

3 Comments:

Blogger Vicki said...

Joe Clyde?? Sure you aren't from Arkansas?


God keeps our ears tuned to that which we need to hear.

6:16 PM  
Blogger Tracy said...

That is very scary. I'm glad all is well now.

You are still in our family's daily prayers. Hang in there.

6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is nothing worse then being awakened at night by a scream, I can't imagine. I am so sorry. Hang in there guys, know that there are TONS of us praying for you. Tonight we pray for a restful night for all! Stay healthy Ira, we love you.

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home