Sunday, March 11, 2007

City Life by Laura

I love living in New York City. Let me be more specific. I love living in Brooklyn. For those of you unfamiliar with the city, each borough making up NYC has its own feel, its own personality. I've never lived in Queens, the Bronx, or Staten Island so I won't speak for those. But I have lived in Manhattan and, for the last three years, Brooklyn. And I love Brooklyn. When I go into Manhattan now, which is surprisingly infrequent, I can feel the the pace quicken, the cabs multiply and the stress intensify. And I want to get back - back to my neighborhood where children are not an anomaly and where my brownstone stoop is a welcome place for bubble blowing and friendly hellos. (Yes, I know there are happy children in Manhattan...a few.)

But this isn't a blog about which borough rules. This is about why I love living in New York City. I love being able to walk everywhere. Not only is this a healthier lifestyle but it's also convenient. I love the ability to walk to my gym, walk Sophia to daycare, walk to get groceries, coffee, dog food. Everything I need is within walking distance. And if it's not, I can walk to the subway and get on a train that will take me where I need to go. Is there another place in America where this is possible?

Another reason I love living in New York City is that I can have gourmet food delivered right to my doorstep. We live one block away from Smith Street, which is quickly becoming one of the hottest spots for fine dining in the country. It is Brooklyn's very own "Restaurant Row." The food is amazing and every restaurant delivers. Isn't that crazy? (My favorite and Joe's favorite.)

I love New York City because I am forced to see all walks of life everyday. Sophia's school is six blocks away. Within those six blocks we might pass a person still snoozing on their bed made of metal, numerous four letter words being freely tossed about (at 8:30 in the morning, no less), a friendly old gentleman with whom we share nothing in common (or so it seems) greeting us with a cheerful "Good Morning!" There is no way to forget the homeless and less fortunate while living in this neighborhood. The racial, ethnic, religious and socio-economic diversity that exists within blocks or our apartment is staggering. And beautiful. Life in this neighborhood presents many teachable opportunities for me as a mother and I love it.

And finally, I love New York City because it feels like anything is possible here. I have dreams of becoming a published author or the next Laurie Berkner. Those are just dreams but there is a feel about this city that your dreams can become reality. I haven't felt this in any other city in which I have dwelt.

It's not a perfect city. I wish we had more space and a backyard. I wish the winters weren't so long and the cost of living weren't so expensive. But for now, I'll take diversity and the dreams over the extra bedroom any day.

-

14 Comments:

Blogger Brittyne Fitzgerald said...

It was so great to hear from you! I love your post and I am so jealous of life in New York City. I loved your comment on dreams...as much as I do love living in spacious StL near family...I sometimes feel the stifling feeling of the city. Trapped. Limited. I struggle with teaching diversity to our girls and I wonder how to teach them about the bigger world that exists.

Your restaurant looks fantastic. I checked out the link. When we visit(yeah right...with all three girls?) you'll have to take us there!

9:43 PM  
Blogger Stacy said...

I dream of being a published author, too. (I don't think my blogs count.) Maybe I need to come to New York and *feel* the dream. :)

10:06 PM  
Blogger Kester Smith... said...

Thanks Laura. This was great. So much about what I love about Austin, although we get too much heat instead of cold and bus instead of subway. And you probably have a slightly more eclectic mix of restaurants. But at least we're both paying way too much to live where we do! Thanks again.

11:35 PM  
Blogger Jana said...

I could have guessed you were interested in performing/educating children, but I had no idea you were an aspiring author!

I love your thoughts on NYC. Brandon and I often talk about the convenience of being able to walk everywhere. And oh how I wish every restaurant delivered in Nashville!

9:20 AM  
Blogger shell said...

As I read this post, my kids are in their room listening to Laurie Berkner. We love her, but would love a Laura Hays even more. Pursue that dream -- We'll buy your cd for sure. Or at least post some of your songs and I'll get my kids addicted to them. :)

Love you all!
shell

10:27 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Our Laura loves Laurie Berkner...we'd love to hear any of your music! Music is such a great way to teach children. I enjoyed reading all your insights of living in Brooklyn.

1:14 PM  
Blogger nathansethjones said...

Thank you for sharing. How great it is to be reminded of the joys of living here in NYC and the BK. It's a place like no other.

2:19 PM  
Blogger NakiaInSTL said...

hey, laura! i enjoyed reading your post about NYC, it seems like what i've seen on tv is pretty much like you've described it. i've always wanted to visit again because the last time i was there, it was when we all went with the youth group at Mid-County in the early 90s.

one of the most vivid memories i have is of the subway and how the smell of urine permeated throughout-bleccccchhhhh~but YOUR version of your neighborhood sounds much more appealing :0)

4:54 PM  
Blogger kenny said...

Who needs a backyard when you have Prospect Park, the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens and Yankee Stadium? You've actually made me wish I still lived in NYC for the first time since moving away. Good goin.

6:07 PM  
Blogger Alyssa said...

Hi Laura! It is so fun to hear from you- I love to imagine you walking around Brooklyn in the Springtime :)

7:07 PM  
Blogger holly said...

Hear, hear! You said it.

8:40 PM  
Blogger Karlos said...

I loved reading your thoughts, Laura!

Kaley

12:08 AM  
Blogger amg said...

Thanks Laura. I always love to read your words. And I love it that you shouted your dreams out loud!! One more step to making them come true....

I love you!
ca

10:57 AM  
Blogger D.J. said...

You pretty much summed up everything I miss about living in the city - and even brought up a few things I didn't realize I miss.

12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home