Thursday, August 25, 2005

Please excuse my third post today and allow me this short story that reveals much:

I had the evening/night shift with Sophia today. Because I'm worthless in the kitchen I decide that Sophia and I should go to the neighborhood diner and grab a bite to eat. We get our usual, The Lumberjack. It comes with three huge pampcakes, as Sophia calls them, four pieces of bacon, three sausage links and eggs. Sophia loves it.

So we're sitting there waiting for our food and I start talking about Ira. I'm talking about Ira being sick and how important it is to be quiet when we go to the hospital. I continue by saying that I wish Ira could come home soon when Sophia pipes up and says, "me too. I want Ira home too."

"Oh really? Why?" I ask.

"Because I really want mom home really soon," she honestly replies.

Laura and I have no idea how this is effecting Sophia but with tonight's conversation it was evident that she understands that Ira's sickness means that her parents aren't around as much as she would like.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Joe, Laura, Sophia & Ira,
Your love for each other and your faith in our Lord Jesus Christ
is a powerful example to all of us.
You are in our hearts and in our prayers.
Pls. e-mail me your address so I can send a gift for subways and "pampcakes" ... Debhalo21@aol.com
My love, Deb

10:07 PM  
Blogger kenny said...

Prayers for sweet Sophia tonight.

10:17 PM  
Blogger Byron said...

I'm giving Blake a bath. He is crying. I say "son, daddy is right here, what can I do?" He replies "get mommy." Moms are better and all kids know it. Keep your head up. God's blessings on your family.
Byron

12:26 AM  
Blogger Serena Voss said...

I'll bet Sophia will treasure those times she got to eat "pamcakes" with her daddy.

May Ira and Mommy be home soon!

9:17 AM  
Blogger Serena Voss said...

Oooops! I meant "pampcakes"!

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know it must be so hard on you guys. In a very small way I can relate as my 2 year old wants my attention and I am largely unable to give it to him because our 5 month old has been so demanding. I have felt a range of emotions, mainly sadness and guilt and sometimes doublt our decision to have our second so quickly. I try to remember that my firstborn had my undivided attention for almost two years before his brother came along.
I think Sophia will become a more loving and empathetic person for having sweet Ira as her brother.
From everything I read and hear, you guys are doing a wonderful job as parents. Don't doubt that.
May God bless sweet Sophia in a special way today.
lisa c

9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I pray for you all often, and I have something specifically to say about sweet little Sophia. I am a working mom and have felt immense guilt about that. When I found out I was pregnant with our second child, I actually grieved for my son because I just knew that I was ruining my first childs life, now not only was I working, but his precious time with me would be further divided with the new baby. It was a rocky adjustment period when Sarah Riley was born, but a year later, Robert was planning and asking God for "a boy baby the next time there is a baby in Mommy's tummy." It occured to me then, that he doesn't know any differently than the life that he has, and he loves every minute of it. I agree with the previous comment that Sophia will grow to love those memories of pampcakes with her Daddy, and all the Wendy's and Subway with her Mommy while at the hospital.

Still praying in Port Neches, TX

Brook

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home