Thursday, September 29, 2005

Praying

I've been wanting to post on prayer. More than anytime in my life, I thought about the function of prayer in my life and in the life of the faith community. No big revelations and I haven't been enlightened on any grand scale but I feel strongly about one aspect of prayer: when someone tells me they are praying for Ira and for us I am reminded of God's presence with us.

I want to say more about prayer but for now, I'll share this e-mail excerpt from Ann C.:
Okay, have you heard of prayer pagers? I guess I first heard of them about a year ago when a friend from church had a little boy that needed brain surgery and another person at church gave her one to use while he was hospitalized. The deal is, you get a pager and you let people know the phone number to call. When they reach the number, they will hear a message like, "you have reached the prayer pager for Ira, please enter your zip code and the family will know that Ira has been prayed for. " Maybe at just the right moment when you are down or on the long subway ride, you will be encouraged as you feel the little buzz and know that someone is lifting you guys up to God. I really felt compelled to do this.
So the pager arrived today. The toll free number is 866.240.0163. You'll hear Ann's voice prompting you to leave your zip code. Once you do that, stay on the line to hear the concluding message and we'll get the buzz.

We don't know Ann but appreciate that she has done this for us. Honestly? I'm not sure how I feel about a prayer pager, but I'm so thankful by Ann's act of love that once again, I'm reminded of God's presence.

5 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

It's on my speed-dial. peace -- Katie

8:31 AM  
Blogger Vicki said...

beeping....

11:08 AM  
Blogger kenny said...

hmmm... I just tried it and after entering my zip code there was a pause and then I was asked to "please enter your access code."... anybody else having that problem?

4:10 PM  
Blogger kenny said...

I think I've figured out the problem. My zip code begins with a zero (0) - along with the rest of New Jersey - and if you only type zero you get the same message. This prayer pager is discriminitory to New Jersey residents!!! (kidding of course).

Joe, Laura, Sophia and Ira: Sorry, but you'll just have to feel our prayers the old fashioned way :)

4:16 PM  
Blogger Jacinda said...

Wonderful idea! I've just called it from Aiken, SC.

10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home