Monday, September 26, 2005

So Much To Say

It's Monday night and Laura and I just got in from the hospital. Laura's mom, Kay, is here so having that extra pair of hands makes it possible for Laura and me to be at the hospital at the same time.

Ira's day today mirrored the good weekend he had. The big news is that Ira was put on the cannula on Saturday afternoon and for the first time in Ira's five months of life, we took him outside. We began by wheeling him around the NICU. All the nurses wanted a word with Ira as it is a joy to see any NICU baby out of their crib. Then I asked if we could go outside. The nurse said, "Why not?" We got all our gear loaded up. No, not a diaper bag but an extra oxygen tank, an emergency intubation kit, a general emergency kit and two nurses. Ira acted like he had done it a hundred times before. It was a great moment.

On Sunday morning Ira spent three hours off the CPAP and three more hours off Sunday evening. And we did the same today. Remember that I said our goal was for Ira to be off the CPAP 4-6 hours a day? You do the math.

Problem is that Ira likes to sleep when he's on the cannula as if to say, "this is hard work guys and if I sleep I'll make it as long as you want me to." We'll talk to the doc in the next couple of days but I'm sure he'll want Ira to be able to be awake and breathing with ease while on the cannula.

We are glad about this weekend.
-------------------------------------------
I'm really happy to be a part of the Brooklyn church plant. It's a good, strong group of people committed to living their lives for Christ in the city. And that's no easy task. Last night, we dedicated our newest member, Jasper. He was born this summer and is cute as a button. After, we took a group picture. Below are most of the family that meets in our home on Sunday nights.


5 Comments:

Blogger jch said...

Gwendolyn said:

What a cool looking group of people!!! I miss Sunday nights at the Hays house!

9:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

omgoodness!! I am so so excited to hear about Baby Ira being such a stud!! He is so strong. It's soooo cool to see the Lord's strength working in such a small little guy. God is holding Ira in His arms, and holding him tight. I want you to know that there are SO many people in Austin who have been so touched by you guys. Your video has reached tons of people here already. Thank you for putting your heart out there for all of us to see. The Lord is doing incredible things through yall. You remain in my prayers and in the prayers of soooooo many others!! You inspire me every day. I love you all SO much Joe, Laura, Sophia, and Ira!!

<><

10:38 PM  
Blogger julie said...

Joe, we have a friend who has just moved to New York with his best friend. He is going to go to comedy school. Great guy and I would love to hook him up with all of you...how can he get in touch with you?
I am so happy for Ira's progress. Prayers still happening every day. I have worn my bracelet to work and even into our NICU. I tell everyone about Ira at work...because that is what we do and babies are close to our hearts.
By the way, I also love The Whalerider. The first time I saw it I was sobbing...so much that is similar to the church...but God keeps calling little girls into Kingdom work and who are we to say no?
Have a great week!

11:22 PM  
Blogger Jana said...

YES!!! Ira got to go outside! That makes me happy!

12:45 PM  
Blogger Serena Voss said...

Yes, Yes, Yes!!!!

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home