Tuesday, November 15, 2005

'Tis Midnight

I can't sleep. Not sure why. It was a long day. Ira had more appointments back at Children's Hospital. Today we saw a new doc, the pulmonologist, and Ira's surgeon. Both visits were smooth and relatively quick. After we saw Dr. Stolar, Ira's surgeon, we decided to take a trip over to the NICU to see our old friends.

As soon as we walked out of the elevator the ladies at the front desk greeted us with huge smiles. We walked back to floor and Ira was immediately surrounded by nurses. They were equipped with all the right responses: "He looks wonderful!" "He's fattened up!" "You guys look rested!" "I'm so happy for you guys."

I wasn't anxious being there nor did I have any weird feelings or flashbacks. In fact, it was kinda the opposite. It was nice being there. Why was it that I felt so comfortable? Maybe because it felt safe. Maybe because those surrounding us know us and know Ira. Maybe because those who work there walked with us day after day and cast no judgments upon us for not always being at the top of our game. Maybe because Laura and I, as Ira's primary caregivers, often feel inadequate compared to those who cared for him in the NICU. Maybe, and I'm going out on a limb here, maybe I felt so comfortable being there because I knew that I could leave the NICU with my baby boy in my arms.
--------------------------------------------------------------
I wish that were the case for Diana and her parents. Diana is now 9 months old and still in the NICU. I wrote about Diana on August 5. She has a whole different set of issues than Ira. She can't quite seem to take the next step she needs to go home. It saddened me to see her there.

Holy Father, grant them peace.
Holy Father, grant them peace.

Holy Father, grant them peace.

1 Comments:

Blogger Glo said...

Little Diana, may today be filled with blessings from your Father. May you gain strength and give your family joy.

Sweet precious Ira, how great that you had a good day yesterday and got to see so many friends. What a blessing!

Joe and Laura, I was especially glad to hear that the nurses thought you guys looked rested. Have a great day.
Love,
Mom/Gram/Glo

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home