Sunday, February 05, 2006

Taking a break


the fam in PICU
Originally uploaded by joechays.

Please excuse the awkwardness of this photo. There's really no way of getting a good shot in a hospital room. Ira and I look a little whipped from the restless night before. Laura, as always, looks simply amazing. And Sophia doesn't hide the fact that she, along with the rest of us, would rather be somewhere else.

For over a year I have reported on the journey that we have lived. Laura and I have shared some - not all - of our deepest emotions, kept you up-to-date on the latest word(s) from the doctors and given you a look into our theological wanderings. In return, you have prayed for us, thought of us, and given to us. We couldn't be more grateful for the outpouring of love we have received over the past year.

But I need a break. Ira's progress - when there is progress - is in such small increments that having the patience to witness it all is excruciating. As of late what hasn't helped is the thought of, "What can I post on the blog?" If a few days go by and there has been no change with Ira then I start to feel anxious not just for improvement with Ira but also with the knowledge that I haven't posted anything about Ira in those few days.

In light of that extra stress, I need to take a break, but I ask - I beg - you not to break from praying for Ira and my family.

There won't be a total absence of news concerning Ira's progress. My friend, Jason, will post a couple of times a week giving you brief updates along with a thumbs up, thumbs sideways or thumbs down (or something like that) as to how things are goning with Ira and I'm hoping to start posting again in March.

Maybe I'm making this a much bigger deal than it is but, as I mentioned earlier, you have given us so much support that I feel I owe you this explanation.

Our family has prayed this simple prayer over the past year: "Holy Father, grant us peace." I'm hoping to rediscover God's peace this month.

11 Comments:

Blogger Vicki said...

Then you rest, Joe. Rest. We will never stop praying. And we will look to Jason for updates.


These words are from a song by Free Indeed, as best I recall from memory:


Lord, give me peace
I'm feeling all alone
Calm my spirit,
Still my mind,
Fill my heart with peace

Calm my spirit,
Still my mind,
Fill my heart with peace

2:59 PM  
Blogger Stacy said...

Remember long distance dedications? Well, I'm playin' one for you right now:

"Right Here" by Jeremy Camp

All the world is watching
All the world does care
Even when the world weighs on my shoulder now,
These feelings I can bare
Because I know,
That you’re here,

(CHORUS:)
Everywhere I go,
I know your not far away,
Your right here
Your right here, yeah (x2)

All these thoughts I’ve wasted,
All these thoughts I fear,
Even when these thoughts have faded,
I still know that you’re here,
So I can rest my hope in you

(Repeat Chorus)

Many of times that I have felt alone,
Many of times that I have the
world was crashing down upon me,
You always stood here by my side,
You were always there …..

Everywhere I go,
I know your not far away,
Your right here
Your right here, yeah (x4)

I know that sometimes, contemporary Christian music makes you flinch, but this is a good one. :)
Watch your email later tonight - I'm sending you some iTunes $$, so you can listen to these words with music. And remember, Joe... no matter where you go or how long you stay away, we're right here. We're right here.

6:06 PM  
Blogger Lynn said...

As your Christian sister from Texas, I send continued love and prayers to your family. Our family went through a briefer hospital episode and I can't even imagine days and days there with no relief seeming in sight. Peace. What a fleeting word but so much what you all need. The world looks for peace in all forms but I am praying that God our Father will continue to keep his healing and comforting hand on Ira and you all. I will look forward to comments from wherever they come, as I along with so many others, check daily to find out about Ira. Strangers on earth but yet loving you all just the same.

8:31 PM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Don't worry-take a break from your blog readers! We will still pray for Ira, as will those who read our blog. By all means, don't feel obligated to us. We will pray no matter what!
Amy
(Jonathan's mom)

8:42 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Completey completely understandable.
And without a doubt..I will keep you in my thoughts, my heart, my prayers.
May peace be with you.
xoxo

9:06 PM  
Blogger julie said...

Joe and Laura, know that we are standing with you until you have passed through the fire. We don't know how long or how short that will be...but...we will keep standing. We will continue to pray for Ira. We will continue to pray for peace for all of you and some quiet space to feel that peace. I am glad that you are honest enough to let us know when you can't blog anymore right now. You have laid yourselves bare and sometimes that can be exhausting also. Know that at anytime you can reach out and find us still here and still kneeling at the throne of God crying out for you and for healing for Ira. May God bless you and hold you.

11:54 PM  
Blogger happytheman said...

Laura and Joe you are on my heart and in my prayers. I've seen my good friends battle weary as they have waited for three years for the son to get a kidney. They understand life in the hospital as six of us played dominoes next to the son's bed the other night. Holidays in the hospital are not something you think about, nor the roller coaster of highs and lows as your children battle on. May the peace of the living Christ and His Spirit bring you comfort in the most difficult of times, strenght when the battles the roughest and especially peace and rest during the less trying times of the battle. May Ira grow strong in the Lord, knowing that he is a miracle baby who has been blest to know his parents will always be by his side.

6:43 AM  
Blogger KentF said...

I applaud you in your decision Joe. The Holy Spirit will guide us in how to pray - and you will devote your energies to your family and ministry.

8:35 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

still praying daily for Ira, for peace

12:09 PM  
Blogger Bradford L. Stevens said...

May the Lord of Heaven and earth grant to you the peace that passes all understanding as you walk this way upon your journey of faith. We will continue to lift you up by the power of His Spirit and in the name of our Father and our Lord, Jesus Christ. May God be with you and your family.

In His name,

Brad Stevens

9:46 PM  
Blogger Jared said...

Joe & family,
Thank you for sharing so much of yourself. As we have prayed for Ira and thought about your family, I have felt anger & frustration, and have felt oh so foolish. I'm humbled in ways that I can't really explain.

Praying for you from Costa Rica.
-Jared

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home