Thursday, April 13, 2006

Living Words

Laura here.

After I left my surprise party Saturday night I felt like I was flying. Even though it was midnight when we arrived home (I know this is not late for some of you), I had a hard time falling asleep. If Joe had been awake he probably would have said I was glowing in the dark.

Have you ever had the privilege of sitting in a room full of people while they shared kind and thoughtful things about you? Probably not. I realized after the fact, that situations like I experienced on Saturday typically do not occur while people are still living. We usually wait until someone has passed away to sit around and say wonderful things about them and the way they lived their life. Why do we wait until they’re dead?

Are we too busy? Would it just be too awkward? Do we feel like they probably already know whatever it is we would share with them?

Let me speak from experience. I will forever cherish the words that were spoken to me that night. I will remember who spoke them and what was said. I will remember the way their words encouraged me to keep living one more day; to be proud of the life I am living; to recognize my worth as a mother, friend, wife.

I have walked taller and prouder this week because of their words. Is there anyone you could help live taller this week through your words? Why don’t you share those words while they’re still around to hear them?

BTW, thank you honey for the party. It was perfect.

-

3 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

Since I could not be there...

My memories of time spent with you are some of my most fond from ACU. The long road trips with Reflections, in cramped confined vans, Laci, D.J., You and I, Rob, Chris, Jason and Jeremy... and of course, LeeAnn! We had a beautiful sound together.

Thoughts of "Taco Cabana" and running over things on the road... Watching and listening to you and Laci discuss this mysterious guy named Joe...: )

Those sure are fading memories when compared with the life stresses of today.

Laura, you were then and are still today, one of the people that I look to for strength and guidance. Your gentleness and kindness affected me then and they still touch me today. I still play the tape and my heart swells when I hear your voice, knowing that I was blessed to be able to stand next to you and praise the Father. Thank you Laura for your life and committment to God, your family and friends. May he continue to bless you and your family.

5:48 PM  
Blogger Jina Hinson said...

Laura,

I have followed your and Joe's posts for almost a year now, backtracking to read about your pregnancy and life before Ira's birth. Many times I have thought about responding but didn't have the means to do so, until recently.

We didn't know each other very well when my family lived in St. Louis, but I have much respect for your mother and father and the lives they have lived for Jesus. As I talked with them last summer, they brought me up to date on your life and little Ira's birth. It was then that I started reading the blog. Since then, I have been praying for you, Joe, Sophia, and Ira. I remember a post in which Joe mentioned your worry about your breast milk production slacking off and asking for prayer for that. I identified strongly with that because I never had sufficient milk for each of my 4 babies, and I prayed for you. I rejoiced when Ira was able to come home and played the video of that occasion many times, so much so that my now 4 year old, Rebekah, will ask me, 'Mommy, play me that story about the baby coming home from the hospital....' I cried when you had to take Ira back to the hospital in December. And I related to your need to take a break from blogging, to step back and let other loving friends carry that task for you for a while....

Laura, I continue to ask God for healing for Ira. I lift up Sophia and you and Joe and petition God to continue to pour out His grace and mercy and boundless love on each of you. I have been so amazed and blessed by the way you have handled the deep, scary, unknown days, and weeks, and months..... It speaks of a surrendered life to the Master. Not that you don't have questions, but that you know who to entrust yourself to, when you do.... Thank you for the power of your testimony as a Christian mother. I would be honored to hug your neck if ever we are in New York.

"I pray that out of His glorious riches He may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your heart through faith....."

I see the power of His Spirit living in your life, Laura. Thank you for being such a testimony to me.

With love,
Jina Hinson
Snohomish, WA

8:17 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

How lovely and well said.
This reminded me of something that Morrie said in "Tuesdays with Morrie". If you haven't already, you should read it.

7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home