Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Middle East Mess

Saw this map on another blog and was intrigued. The map's site reads as follows: Who has controlled the Middle East over the course of history? Pretty much everyone. Egyptians, Turks, Jews, Romans, Arabs, Greeks, Persians, Europeans...the list goes on. Who will control the Middle East today? That is a much bigger question.



My historical knowledge isn't great so I'm unsure if this map is correct (you can find anything on the web) so can someone give feedback. Also, how do you interpret how this 90-second interactive map ends - by showing us where Jerusalem is and where Baghdad is in the Indepedence Era?

-

2 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

Joe, I'm thinking that our general lack of commenting reflects a kind of humility, an admission that we don't understand very much about the geopolitics of that area... I, for one, feel an unusual (for me) paralysis with respect to conflict in the Middle East, because the conflicts seem so ancient and complex, and therefore intractable.

It's strange, perhaps, that I feel really comfortable with the expanding and contracting empires from Assyria to Rome, because of my years of living with that history through the Bible. On Sunday just past, I preached on Esther and recited the rise and fall of empires and the necessity of the Jews (as they are called in the Book of Esther, as opposed to Israelites) learning to live quietly under the thumb of other nations, and God's ongoing care for the people of divine first choosing.

peace -- Katie

1:18 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I think it's interesting that the two cities can be so close together geographically but so far apart in many other ways.

It fills me with a great sadness to think about the middle east. I wish I had any answers for that area.

11:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home