Saturday, October 01, 2005

Friday Night Lights

Wanna know where my IRA LESTER HAYS wristband was the past 24 hours? In Haltom, Texas watching Anthony play high school football.

Before coming to New York City I was a minister at Fortress Church in Ft. Worth, Texas. Anthony's family attended Fortress. At the time, Anthony was a scrawny middle school kid who I picked on. Umm, he's not so scrawny any longer. Notre Dame, Texas A&M, Oklahoma and a few other schools don't think he's that scrawny either. He's been offered a full ride to all these schools and more.


got your back, Ira
Originally uploaded by joechays.

His mom works for American Airlines and asked if I was interested in coming to a game this season. So I flew into D/FW on Friday afternoon, ate a burrito at Freebirds, watched the game with other crazed Texas high school football fans and flew out first thing Saturday morning.

I never was able to fully relax as my mind kept drifting back to 165th street and Broadway where Ira resides. But I was glad to see my friends and take in Anthony's football game.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brandynn said...

Fortress Church! Wow. What a tiny, tiny world. Do you know Dale & Kristi Carman? My husband worked with Dale at ReelFX a long time ago, and we've been friends with them since. Just saw them a couple of weeks ago at the open house for Christ's Haven for Children.

Anyway, we first found your blog from Noah Whaley's site. We heard of that from my husband's cousin, who is part of the church with the Whaley family. So we've been feeling like a bug on the wall, just observing your life way up in New York, feeling like strangers observing other strangers. So it is so wonderful to see how God ties all kinds of people together in all kinds of ways, with little connections here and there to make us not be such strangers anymore.

We continue to pray for Ira and your sweet family.

11:51 PM  
Blogger jch said...

Yeah Brandynn, I know the Carmens. Incredible people. This world is small, huh?

8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home